Tuesday, November 24, 2009

...Bye Bye, Facebook...

Hi....My name is Kellie Knapp...and I'm a Facebook-aholic.... In 24 hours from now, I am going to delete my facebook account. ( cue dramatic music, please)

This is where I wave the white flag... I surrender and admit.... I HAVE A PROBLEM :)

Here are my 3 reasons I'm quitting such a fun, fabulous, useful, social networking site....

Have you ever seen Wall-e??? Sometimes when I'm surfing facebook, I feel like those super cute chubby people in floating chairs with the screens right in front of their faces. They aren't paying attention to anyone or anything around them and they are even talking to people RIGHT NEXT TO THEM, but through the screen in front of their face..... So Reason #1... I don't want to be a chubby person, on a floating chair, in a cartoon :) This is the only picture I could find showing those cute little guys... it's not a super good picture, but you get the point...

Reason #2... I was inspired...haha :) Last year ,around new years, we went to the house of a guy, who is an old mission buddy of my bro-in-law Danny. I got to chit chatting with his super cute wife, who has 4 kids. I told her she was adorable and told her we should be Facebook friends...She looked at me and said" You know, I don't have facebook.... I did, but I deleted it because I was ADDICTED! I would spend hours on there looking at every one's pictures and reading there stuff and realized I was spending more time and energy on people I barely knew then with my own kids and husband, and I just feel like my family deserves more from me." That memory burnt into my brain and I haven't been able to get it out!!! I envied her self control and promised myself I would only be on facebook for a certain amount of time a day....yeah....that didn't work for me :)
Reason #3... I want to prove to myself I can give something up. As a chubby girl, it's always been hard to say no to food, addiction numero uno. As a tired mom it is sometimes really hard to say no to diet dr pepper, addiction numero dos. ( even though I will admit I am a recovering addict from that.... I only drink about 1 and SOMETIMES 2 a week :) And yes, as silly as you may think it is, I'm addicted to Facebook. I LOVE looking at peoples pictures and reading what they have to say, and writing things on my status and getting comments... It's so fun!!!!! But this morning I surfed Facebook for almost two hours. I have a house to clean, laundry to do, a family to love and spend time with and I was wasting time for TWO whole hours. I think the kicker was that my sweet little 2 year old asked me to read her a book and paint with her and I brushed her off..... for facebook. So I'm done....
I'm not saying EVERYONE should quit... there are PLENTY of people that facebook in moderation.. haha. I wish I was one of those people because I think and KNOW facebook is so convenient and useful in so many situations. I'm just too ridiculous to be able to moderate myself...is that possible? Moderate myself? That sounds like bad grammar to me :)
This honestly sounds so serious and really really silly all at the same time! It's so silly that I'm addicted to something so silly, but I AM! I SOUND LIKE A CRAZY PERSON! :) Bottom line, because I'm not STRONG enough to limit my time on Facebook and spend more quality time with my family, I have to be SMART enough to know it's time to call it quits :)
So... I quit, you facebook...bye bye.

7 comments:

Aubrey said...

wow, good job. Maybe one day I will be as strong as you. :)

A Lady Reveals Nothing said...

This better mean more blog posts.

Julie and Kyle said...

boo... how will we ever gossip?

RazakFamily said...

I agree...some people are ridiculous on that thing! I use it MAINLY to see pictures of my little sister in college!
I hope this means we get to see more pictures of your cute family on your blog.....

Unknown said...

I admire you so much I feel so connected through people on FB.. but I really should just pick up the phone and call... really.
maybe one day i can kick the habit too;) UGGG its terrible.
BUT I agree with Kadyhexum this better mean more blog posts

Kristin said...

I was getting this way with blogs, so now I only allow myself to go get caught up on everyone's blogs once a week. (Of course, I visit my own more often than that :).)

Julie and Kyle said...

okay, i had to tell you that you inspired me. it took a while, but i came around. i've come to conclude (after our little chat) that facebook is the devil. i canceled my account too! see ya facebook. hello blogging again!