Thursday, February 9, 2012

...Danny...

As I mentioned before, Rich's brother, Danny passed away 3 days after Christmas. He drown helping to save an 18 year old Puerto Rican boy, who'd been stuck in a riptide current for 2 hours. You can read more about it here.

Danny was a FBI agent, living in Puerto Rico. He was 43, had never been married and he didnt' have kids. He kicked major butt in all aspects of life and he was, for sure, the most amazing, Christ-like person we knew. It sounds cliche, but Danny really, REALLY was as good as it gets.

Danny gave and lived his life so selflessly. He gave so much of his time, money, and talents to helping others. He had such an attitude of service and giving. With him, it was never a question of "Should I help?" but a question of "When can I help?"

The funeral was beautiful. There were a lot of great speakers. Rich was one of the speakers and i think he did an amazing job. He told the funniest stories about Danny, and did a beautiful job honoring Danny's life and commitment to the gospel. He really stepped up in such a difficult time and I know his talk brought happiness and peace to a lot of people.

Death is so hard. It's so final and non negotiable. We live in a time of so many choices and options. We have the ability to choose so much of our life that I think with death, it's difficult to realized there are no choices and options sometimes. No amount of arguing, pleading, money, or prayers will bring Danny back. I remember feeling that same feeling when my dad died. It was the first time in my whole life that I faced a situation I couldn't talk myself out of. It's infuriating. It also feels similar to a robbery. Like someone came and took something so invaluable to you and you can't get it back.

Losing someone close to you, really makes you take a long hard look at what you truly believe. The grief process demands you choose where you stand with a higher power. You're forced to choose whether you are going to cling to what you know, or you abandon ship. In my experience with losing my dad, I'd have to admit I abandoned ship...or maybe jumped ship for a few minutes and then said "OK, just kidding, I want back on board." :) I'm so proud and amazed and in awe of Rich in the way he's handled himself since losing Danny. He's held on to what he knows for dear life with more enthusiasm then ever. His example has strengthened and blessed our family, more that we know, I'm sure.

Even though it feels so much like a tragedy, we find major comfort in knowing this isn't the end of line for Danny and our family. Although it feels like it, I know we haven't been robbed of a brother, and the world hasn't LOST a good man. Danny's spirit is in a better place, doing great things and I'm sure watching over us. I know we will be reunited and when they day does come we will have GREAT joy. Danny was, is, and always will be our brother.

If you have 4 minutes and a few tissues to spare, watch this video. The message it sends, brings us so much peace and it can bring great comfort to those who have lost loved ones.

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Ugh. I'm so sorry, Kellie and Rich. It always sucks when someone so good is taken. I am very sorry for your (and the world's) loss.

Lisa Erickson said...

SO, I probably should have grabbed more than just a few tissues for that video... Thank you so much for sharing your testimony. I LOVE reading your blog! My brother passed away when we were teenagers and I love to think about the happy reunion we can have someday. It sometimes makes the hurting a little less. I'm so sorry for your loss and grateful you are not jumping ship. ;) I think you are Rich are both pretty amazing.

Anonymous said...

Kellie this is beautiful! His story brings sadness that he is no longer here but also joy that families are forever and that he will be seen again. I know that he now is doing greater things like helping spirits on the other side! Love you guys and the strength that you all have!

laura said...

I'm so, so sorry for your tragic loss, but glad that you, Rich, and your family are able to find some comfort. Danny sounds like a uniquely wonderful person.

Kristin said...

Great post and I'm so sorry. I'm 43, so it kind of hits home to think about. I can't imagine losing a sibling. I'm glad Rich has you.