Monday, February 20, 2012

...a hard pill to swallow...

Something bad just happened.
I want to tell someone, but everyone in my house is asleep. So I have to blog about it.

There are 3 parts to this story....

Part ONE. I was pretty sick last week. I got better for 2 days and then wham-bam-thank-you-mam, I got a sinus infection. Sore teeth, sore eyes, and I thought for sure my head would ACTUALLY explode. So I got a z pack.  You know, the 5 day dose. Today is day 5.

Part DUEX. I made spaghetti tonight for dinner tonight. I left the sauce in the pan a little too long, so I did that thing where you put it in the sink, throw some soap in there and let it soak until you are no longer too lazy to clean it.

Part tres....THE FINALE. Just as I was about to go to bed, i went to the kitchen to take my meds. I unwrapped the z pack and put it my hand. To that little red pill I added 2 acidophiles (acidophili???) pills and a Kirkland, good old fashioned vitamin C pill.

I turned and stood over the sink, filled my cup with fresh, tasty, cold, Montana water, tossed my handful of pills in my mouth and swallowed them like a boss. THEN as I'm dropping my empty cup into one side of the sink, I feel something slip from my OTHER hand. I looked just in time to see my last z pack pill plop into the pot of cold, soapy, tomato-y, spaghetti water.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Without thinking, I instantly plunged my hand into the water and began frantically searching amongst the bubbles, bits of beef, mushroom, onion, and tomato sauce, for my little prescription pill. While I was fishing, thoughts were racing through my head like MAD. Things like "If I find this, am I REALLY going to put it in my mouth and swallow it? " Then, " Do you really HAVE to finish an entire prescription?" and then, " If I don't finish the entire prescription, will I develop some super immunity to z packs?" Then, " Ok, I'm giving up, because I don't think I can actually do this" and finally, " But what if I contract some terminal illness and the only cure is a Z pack, and now I've got this super immunity all because I wouldn't take the soapy, beefy, tomato-y last pill!?!?!?!" Just before I almost died of a heart attack, I found the pill. I pulled it up out of the water, and popped it straight into my mouth, along with a teeny onion and a little piece of basil and some unsavory cold tomato and soap soup.

I'm way, WAY, grossed out.

Retrospectively, I should I have rinsed it off first. Retrospectively, I could have just called the pharmacist and explained the whole Italian tragedy. He probably would have given me a spare. But in the heat of the moment, when your up to your elbows in old spaghetti water and worried about turning into a MUTANT, you just can't be counted on to think clearly.

8 comments:

Lexi said...

suspenseful, hilarious and groooosssssss

ash & diz said...

I can totally picture this happening. And I'm so glad you blogged about it! Lol. And super happy you won't be turning into a mutant. ;)

kenna said...

i just about died because i have done this before. if i drop one of my percocets, i dive after it. if it would have disintegrated in that nasty water, i probably would have drank it.

maybe it's time for an intervention.

Lisa Erickson said...

I LOVE that I can always count on your blog for a laugh. You are HILARIOUS and that is SO disgusting... :)

Trent and Janel Lyman said...

You'll be happy to know that the JAMA (Journal of American Medical Association) just published an article that antibiotics are just as useful as a placebo in treating sinus infections. ie you probably would have gotten better without the antibiotic since 90% of those infections are viral in nature. Unless of course your doc did a nasal washout to culture whatever was growing in your sinuses and it grew a bacteria. To make you feel better if my head were threatening explosion I'd demand an antibiotic from my doc too just for the peace of mind that I was doing something to prevent my head from exploding whether it was working or not. Loved the suspense anyways,
Trent

Erin Lopez said...

THAT IS SOOOOO GROSS!!!

Erin Lopez said...

D-I-S-G-U-S-T-I-N-G!!!

Erin Lopez said...

THAT IS SOOOOO GROSS!!!