Tuesday, January 25, 2011

...i hate my bedtime...

One of our biggest sources of marital strife is bedtime.

Don't get me wrong we also experience marital drama over other things. Like what, you may ask? Allow me to list just a few. Rich dislikes that I.... don't clean up as I go,  leave my wet towels on the ground, SUCK at laundry and cleaning floors and tubs, never return library books on time, spend too much moolah on silly junk like the dollar section of target and diet soda, and he thinks I love TV more than him :) I dislike that Rich... leaves all the kitchen cabinets open, doesn't CONSTANTLY tell me that I'm the greatest thing since Atari, says "we" when he really means "you" ( as in " we should return this to the store" meaning "you should get your butt in the car and return this") TOSSES things like fragile glass items and bread into the car after shopping, and I'm sure other things that would be too much info if I were to continue... Maybe I AM bad at laundry since here I am, airing it all out for you to see...

Back to the point..the issue that is currently taking center stage is our bed time. RICH IS A GEEZER when it comes to bed time.. he would ideally like to be in bed at 9:30. I am more of a 11:30pm/12am kinda girl. I love that time between the kids bedtime and my bedtime when I am free to run a muck and do all the things that are impossible to do with small humans pulling at you all day. Rich has expressed that he really wants me to go to bed with him and I told him, "me too, you should stay up later!" That didn't work.  Then I tried to suggest he move his bed time up to 10:30 and I'll move mine down to 10:30 and EVERYONE wins! If I'm being honest, the main reason I like to stay up is because I like to get in my jammies with blankets and pillows, all snuggly, and zone out to the Bachelor, or American Idol or Biggest Loser, or Greys Anatomy, or some fun show that takes 2 hours to watch...(p.s. Rich's lists of complaints is become oh so valid as I continue to write this blog, is it not?)... his rebuttal and suggestion to my suggestion? "Why don't you just go to bed at 9:45 and get up early at 6AM to watch your shows before the kids wake up" CAN YOU IMAGINE?! Setting my alarm to get up and watch a bunch of crazy chicks run around trying to win over Brad Womack? That's a night time thing, am I right?! UGH. Plus I like to be REALLY tired when I go to bed so I don't sit there and think all night long about how I'm going to solve the worlds problems before next Tuesday. I like to hit the pillow and be out in less than 10 minutes.

SO... because I'm WIFE OF THE YEAR ( jk, far from it.) I went to the library today and got a SLEW of books to read IN BED starting at 9:45, the time my husband turns into a red headed pumpkin. After all one of MY biggest complaints about MYSELF is that I don't read as much as I used to. Ok fine, I don't read anything unless its a people magazine or your blog :) however I DO write so that has to count for SOMETHING. Anyways, I'm starting a list of books (to the right) on my blog so you can all read what is currently on my bed stand and think I'm SUPER intellectual... haha... I'm sure "Sushi for Dummies" REALLY impressed you. I'm sure my high school English teachers and college English professors will be THRILLED and so proud of my selection... hahaha.

Ok. That is enough self deprecating humor for one day.

I'm going to watch less trashy TV, read more, heed my husbands request, and hopefully learn something about sushi and investing along the way :) By the way, this is all starting TOMORROW since it's currently 11:14pm and Rich is snoring upstairs while I blog downstairs...Let's just call it my last hurrah...
PLEASE weigh in about YOUR bedtime on my new poll to the right...also PLEASE comment or email me with your list of top 5 books of all time that I HAVE to read... thank you.

12 comments:

Curt Hostetler said...

I read way too much...but here are some GREAT ones:

Another good intro to investing is 'Learn to Earn' by Peter Lynch.

2 great (but a bit sad/deep) ones set in Afghanistan are: 'The Kiterunner' and 'A Thousand Splendid Suns' by Khaled Hosseini...I couldn't put these down, but there were parts that made me cry too.

A great fun read that's got some strong political overtones (the debate on global warming) - 'State of Fear' by Michael Crichton (R.I.P.).

There are plenty more...but I've read or re-read all of those relatively recently, so they were at the top of my mind.

Also - on the other question - we go to bed at the same time almost always (around 11). If I want more time for something, I wake up early to do it (like this morning...up an hour early).

Britney said...

I know how you feel! Except Brock NEEDS to go to bed early because he has to get up for seminary at 4:35am. He says he can't sleep until I'm in bed too. My solution: computer time! So I have a couple of hours to catch up on blogs and facebook and anything else I want to read about on the internet. I have my little laptop in bed with me, and it works for me! Brock thinks I should go to bed at the same time as him and get up earlier in the morning. Yeah right! We will be so glad when this seminary calling is over.

Sarah said...

I rarely go to bed before 10:30 and I'm up between 5-6a depending on my workout that morning (4:55 this am!). I can sometimes get a 30 min nap in the pm if I've timed everything right. But no, hubs rarely goes to sleep at the same time - usually after me.

The best book I read last year was "The Help." I also read the Hunger Games series, but I don't know that I'd recommend it - kinda freaky. My all-time favorite author is Sharon Kay Penman, but you have to love historical fiction.

Cheree said...

When Devlin and I got married, I was Rich and Devlin was you. Now...I've turned into you and Devlin and I go to bed way too late watching something from netflix or on hulu. However...now that we're getting old...this isn't going to work any longer. Maxson woke up last night at 3am to go to the bathroom and made me accompany him, and Gwen woke up at 6:30 am with a wet bed...so getting up at 7:10am to get William off to his school by 8am was pretty hard this morning, reinforcing the thought that we should go to bed earlier than midnight. But I'm sure we won't...

Anyhow top 5 books in no particular order:
1. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte (thick book but couldn't stop after I was into it)
2. Little Briches by Ralph Moody (based on a true story...really a feel good book)
3. Shipwreck at the Bottom of the World: The Extraordinary True Story of Shackleton and the Endurance by Jennifer Armstrong (this an incredible true story that is awesome. There's a lot of books about this story but this one was great with the pictures, etc. When you're done reading it, check out your local library to rent Shackleton - The Greatest Survival Story of All Time...super amazing.

As far as 4 and 5....I can't decide. If you like these, I'll tell you more books I like. All three of the books above are pretty different.

Unknown said...

We are trying so hard to go to bed earlier. Owen wakes up at 6:30am and we kill ourselves staying up late watching Prison Break on net flix or blogging (me).

A few of my fav books:

The Hunger Games series

Shattered Silece by Melissa Moore (its about a girl (she's a convert to the church) whose father was a serial killer and it totally messed her up. Creepy, but good.

I'm currently looking for more reads so i'll be looking at everyone's comments!

Kristin said...

Right now I'm reading your blog and David is in bed asleep :). I actually feel really guilty every time this happens, but nighttime is the only time I can get anything done. I'm trying to do better. Plus, I lose weight better if I sleep more. As far as books, I'm going to send you an invite to Goodreads. It's a website where you can list all the books you want to read, are reading, have read, and you can see what friends are reading. I just barely started reading again and it's been awesome. I loved The Help and the Hunger Games Trilogy. Also liked The Glass Castle and Half Broke Horses. Anything by Jane Austen is awesome. But go to Goodreads to see more. I guess I'll go crawl into bed now and try not to wake up David :).

Drew, Leah, Saige,Lillie and Kaiya Whitehead said...

I know how you feel! I seriously don't think guys get the me time thing after the kiddos are asleep. Thats my fav time of the night. I can sick my butt on the couch with my bowl of icecream and watch one tree hill laughing at how silly all the girls are. Relaxing without having someone need me. Its the best! My hubby thinks i'm crazy and watch to much tv (which I do) but shoot! If I didn't have some kinda drama i'd go nuts! ;) We never go to bed at the same time. Drews up doing school work while i'm in bed (at 11) or hes working and i'm snoring. Sucks but gotta do whatcha gotta do. Sometime (in the next 10 years) we'll get it together and be able to go to bed at the same time.

Drew, Leah, Saige,Lillie and Kaiya Whitehead said...

ps.. Your blog is by far my favorite to read! I LOVE how you write! Do you know Sharee Johnson is getting married?? :0 Feb 12!

Manda said...

Anything by Michael Crichton is amazing!! Percy Jackson and the Olympians is a good starter series. Written for children, but a fun easy read.

Anonymous said...

ooooo....this blog post is hot! people got lots to say about this! I, too do my best eating, relaxing, reading and thinking when everyone is asleep! Kent complains about my owlish habits and so sometimes I will pretend to be falling asleep with him and then once I see he is sleeping....ahhhhh..... Well, let's just say that s when the party starts! .....but kent always knows in the morning when I wake up two hours later than he does and I'm completely bush whacked! Oh but its so worth it!

Loved loved this post! Laughed my butt off and after reading this I knew we are just soo alike!

Cyndi said...

I actually don't have an opinion about your bedtime habits as long as your making the time to do the "lovey dovey". I will tell you this however, it will all change anyway when the kids start school. I used to be such a night owl but then when Emma's school started at 7:45 and we had to be up at 6:30 it all came to a crashing halt. Now I get my occasional night time to myselfness stints but not very often. Oh I long for those days though of staying up completely by myself and vegging out in front of some mindless show that doesn't matter or sew or clean or whatever as long as I'm by myself! DOn't worry though, those days still happen, just not as often. OK book list,
#1 Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate DiCamillo
#2The Secret life of Bee's by sue monk kidd #3 The unlikely spy by Daniel Silva, The day no pigs would die by Robert Newton Peck #4 A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens, and #5 All 5 of the Fablehaven series by Brandon Mull oh yea and the Candy Shop Wars also by Brandon Mull! These are just a few of my very favorites!

-Special Mothertivity- said...

Kelli- you need to get on goodreads.com! I love it and its a great way to find suggestions of books to read. When I don't have one in mind, I just go browsing through the books my friends rated highly.
By the way, writing does count for something. I love the way you write. :)