Let's be honest. My favorite season, and the official season of the Rich Knapp family, is Fall. I l-o-v-e Fall. But there is something about summer. I love all the picnics, sunburned cheeks, sidewalk chalk, fresh peaches, everyone playing outside until all hours, ice cream cones, camping,
Anyways, today as I rode down the street under the summer sun, I couldn't help but notice what a far cry today was from 6 months ago. Let's just say November 2010 -March 2011 were not pretty months for me. I remember coming home from the hospital after spinal fusion surgery thinking " ok this is my new life" I wasn't able to move my hips, stand up, sit down, shower, brush my hair, go potty, pick up my kids, make a bowl of cereal or itch my knee by myself. ( Calli... I know this is scary, keep reading it gets better.) I thought I was doomed! But there I was riding a bike 6 months later, good as new!
To say I'm grateful for modern medicine is the understatement of the year. Like I told my old roommates this last weekend, if this would have happened 100 years ago, I would have been resigned to live my life in bed, all liquored up and chewing on a leather strap for pain management. It is amazing how because of this surgery I can run, jump, play and ride a bike with my family like nothing ever happened. To say I'm grateful for good friends and family is the 2nd understatement of the year. My family, Rich's family, my ward family, and my amazing friends could have not been any more amazingly encouraging and helpful then they were to my family and me during that time. I'm glad that the post surgery adjustment didn't last long and that I was able to bounce right back.
I am SO thankful that we live in a country where we are free and able to receive such quality medical care. I'm SO grateful that God watched over me and my little family and blessed us so much during this past year and always.
Here's to a back pain free, watermelon eating, bike riding, water balloon fighting, fun filled Summer!
P.s. I updated both my skinny and kids blog. Have at it.
2 comments:
So glad you're good as new and that you get to enjoy summer with your kids! Fall is my favorite as well, but I do really love summer (despite the oppressive humidity and strange smells of the season in NYC!).
Okay...so I am glad to hear that 6 months later you're at the top of your game...but holy crap. August 3rd is right around the corner. I'm scared and need to talk about what it is really going to be like post surgery. I think I would rather expect the worst and maybe be pleasantly surprised if it isn't that bad than to spiral into a depression of unexpected limits. Really...why us? Okay, why not us...but you know what I'm sayin.
Post a Comment