Saturday, June 4, 2011

...saturday is a special day...

Sing with me...
"Saturday is a special day, it's the day we get ready for Sunday. We wash our clothes and we mow the lawn so we don't have to that crap on Sunday"

That's how it goes right?

I love, love, love kid's church songs, but lately being a teacher in Primary (what we call the kids classes at my church.) I've noticed some of them are kinda creepy...like "Follow the Prophet" has good lyrics but those combined with the melody makes it sound kind of creepy/brainwashy. Not like it matters, I still think the Church is true and love it with all my blessed heart, amen.

I love Saturdays. I get to sleep in, I get to hang out with my hott red head all day, and I can take a shower with out having a 15 month old throwing open the shower curtain every 15 seconds or hearing " MOM?! WHERE ARE YOU?!"  every OTHER 15 seconds.

Rich is always thinking up fun and random things for us to do on Saturdays and today was no exception. It actually turned out really fun. He drove us out to the middle of Montana ( ok 20 minutes into the back country) to visit and tour a dairy farm and then get free cookies and milk. I'm sure the FREE cookies and milk was the clincher for him. Crazy part is that it was really really fun. I had several epiphanies while at The Kalispell Kreamery and I will share them with you now.

Epiphany #1. I'm getting a cow. Why? Because they are cute. Because if you painted your house a barn red color and built a white fence and then put your cow inside said fence, your house would look like an awesome Montanan painting. Because Headstrom cows pump out 10 gallons of milk a day and you could give milk to your neighbors, postman, kids teachers, church friends, pastors, teachers, evangelists and so forth. ( where have I heard that before?) Because you have to milk them twice a day for 30 minutes each time and that would be a good arm work out. Because it sounds really fun. AND if we ever get sick of it and don't want to be farmers... then I guess we have ourselves steaks and hamburgers for a year.

Epiphany #2. I'm going to start buying milk from my local dairy. Why? Because the glass bottles it comes in are really cool. Because the idea of driving to the dairy to pick up your milk for the week and waving to the cows it came from sounds really fun. ( They sell it at the local grocer, too but where's the fun in that?)  Because my kids drink 3 gallons of whole milk a month ( not big milk drinkers) and Rich and I go through 2 gallons of skim per month and if we switched from our regular "Costco" milk to "straight" from the dairy milk it would be a cost difference of approx 6 dollars a month for hormone-vaccination-antibiotic free, non-homogenized, only pasteurized milk. It's a no brainer.

Epiphany #3. Don't dress your 3 year old child in a new white skirt with her new white sandals when you tour or visit a dairy farm. And actually, maybe never dress a 3 year old in white.

I'll call you when we get our cow.

4 comments:

Trent and Steph said...

I'll never be able to listen to "Follow the Prophet" the same way again. Oh the giggles :0

Unknown said...

OMG I always thought that about follow the prophet too but I never wanted to say it in fear of sounding like an apostate!! LOL ... not that you sounded that way at all PS.... anyways I am glad someone said it!!

OK and i like the cow idea ...

You could just hire me if you want ... I produce enough milk to fill your glasses for 50 years!! I will totally do it as long as I can live on your lawn and you dont slaughter me when you are sick of me;)

Katie Fedrizzi said...

Cows..a brown one..I love chocolate milk..

Kristin said...

My dad used to milk a cow and now I can't drink store bought milk. It tastes like water. If you buy a cow, get one of those super cute ones from Scotland. (Google Scottish cows and look at the images.)