Wednesday, July 7, 2010

...where I'm at right now...

WORD TO YOUR MOTHER: This isn't a normal light and fun blog post, but I felt really strongly about putting this out there tonight, so give it a go.

I saw a bumper sticker yesterday that said "No Jesus, No Peace. Know Jesus, Know Peace." At first I just kinda wrote it off as some bible thumping catch phrase, but then it got me thinking.

The first thing I thought is that our friend's daughter calls Chuck E. Cheese's, "Chubby Jesus" which makes me laugh really, really, really hard.

After I was done laughing I remembered a not so fun time in my life after my dad died. It was a really dark, unsettling, rough, and sad time in my life. I was really mad that life didn't go the way I had always been taught in church that it would go. My dad dying at age 46 was just not presented as an option in any Sunday school class I'd ever been in. I was supposed to have my two parents grow old together and then I'd get married and grow old with my husband and obladee, oblada, life goes on. I was really angry and started to fill my life with superficial things and silly things and silly people. I didn't care anymore about my goals I'd always set for myself and could care less about church and my testimony, let alone eternal marriage. I remember going to church only a few times in the year that followed my dad's passing. In those few visits I remember that when they'd start to sing the hymns I would feel so uneasy and so uncomfortable and so NOT peaceful. The words made me feel really selfish and guilty and I couldn't handle that so I'd make up some excuse and blame the church for "making" me feel this way.

Thankfully, before long, I made it back in one piece. The hymns at church are now one of my favorite parts because I feel like the words to the songs are so powerful and really make me want to run out and kick my spirituality into high gear. I realized when I saw that bumper sticker I really understood it loud and clear. When I was going down the wrong way, I didn't give Jesus the time of day, so I had NO peace. Now that I'm back in the game and have a close and honest relationship with my Heavenly Father and Savior, I KNOW PEACE. Even at the end of a long day filled with cleaning, cooking, running around wiping noses and butts, cleaning baby barf out of everything, and trying to be a good mom and hot wife, I feel SO MUCH PEACE when I lay my head down at night knowing I'm trying ( key word here being TRY) to do the right things.

Speaking of hymns I made this and had it printed for Rich for Christmas last year. It's his favorite verse of any hymn ever. I think the words are a good reminder that when we know Jesus and his love for us, we know peace.

5 comments:

Aaron said...

Amen Sis. Knapp. When life gives you a pile of crap, don't play in it, put it in a Wal-Mart bag and throw it away.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the post Kellie, it really got me thinking! I love what you made for Rich.

R. Efros said...

Great post Kellie.

Kristin said...

Great post. You're awesome.

Unknown said...

Thanks Kell...... I really needed this.