Saturday, May 22, 2010

...food, food, and more food...

Since my cute little 13 pound, 13 oz baby boy sleeps a 6 hour stretch at night now, I act more like a regular mom and less like a mean, confused, sleepy zombie lady. I've gotten my drive for cooking back and have been busting out new and fun food left and right this week. I've been trying to step outside my regular dinner go-to's and trying "new" things that I normally don't make. These may be regulars in your house, but not at mine... I always seem to grill chicken or make spaghetti. I've recently made corn bread and banana bread for the first time I LOVE both recipes I used! You can find them HERE and HERE. I made a few adjustments to the corn bread recipe, so email me if your interested if those.

Also, we had the missionaries and some of our friends over for dinner the other night and I did a throwback to the 90's recipe straight from your Mormon Mama's kitchen.... Hawaiian Haystacks. Rich took left overs to work and paraded them around as he usually does, so I got a call from a few ladies at the office who'd never heard of such a thing... I told you it was Mormon food :) They requested the recipe so I figured I'd put it up here, in case you need a reminder of how yummy these little guys are.

Hawaiian Haystacks
Serves as many as you want...

1 chicken breast per person
- place raw chicken in the crock pot and cover with the "The Sauce" and about a 1/4 cup of butter. Cook until done. I have no idea how long its takes I usually just start checking after 2 and half hours. When chicken is done, remove from sauce, shred chicken and set aside. Dissolve one tablespoon of cornstarch into some water and add to the sauce that is remaining in the crock pot. Pour the sauce from the crock pot into a blender and blend for 10 seconds or until well blended, creamy and thick-ish ( sauce thickens as it cools)

The Sauce: Combine 2 cans cream of chicken soup and 1 cup chicken broth.
(you may need more sauce depending on how many people... I made 8 chicken breasts and used 3 cans of soup and 1 and 1/2 cups broth)

1 cup of cooked rice per person ( or more like a cup and a half if your last name is Knapp )

Toppings...
Diced Red Bell Pepper
Shredded Cheddar Cheese
Diced Tomatoes
Chopped Green Onions
Diced Pineapple ( I prefer canned but either works)
Coconut
Chow Mein noodles ( La Choy brand in a blue can in the Asian section)
Sliced Almonds

Serve buffet style and let people load up on whatever they want... you are supposed to layer it rice, chicken, cheese, sauce and then toppings.. but now I'm just being controlling


Speaking of yummy food.. Rich took Macy to our church's Father and SONS camp out last night...even though she's a girl :) I have a secret tradition when Rich goes away overnight ( Rich please stop reading here, or it won't be a secret anymore) where I go to the store and get a Ben and Jerry's ice cream and eat half of it for dinner and the other half for breakfast... sexy, I know. ANYWAYS. Last night I tried a new one....BRACE YOURSELVES. It's called Cinnamon Buns...and I was in HEAVEN. If you like cinnamon rolls, especially the middle of a cinnamon roll, then grab your keys and wallet, SPRINT to your car, speed to your grocery store, and pick up one of these little cartons of edible joy and elation. SERIOUSLY.


That's all.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Kellie you have so many GREAT recipes you need to share with the world. You should start a food blog. Or better yet, we should combine force and do one together "girlfriends in the kitchen" style. Just a thought.

I LOVE hawaiian haystacks!! But I've never done them in the crockpot. I'll have to try it that way.

I love that Rich took Macy to the father-sons campout....how'd she do??

The Brown's said...

1-love you and your blog:)
2-LOVE that Macy went to the father and sons. i am POSTYITIVE she was the cutest one there.
3- I cant write down beacuse I am on my way to the store for some buns;)

~SHERI said...

Yummer... we eat our haystacks with raisins and frozen peas too... I want it now...
Also, cinnamon buns. Ho. Ly. Crap. I love that stuff.
My dad used to take us all to scout camp too. Guess having 5 daughters and no sons, he had no choice! :)

Kristin said...

p.s. i hate you for your sleeping baby (Jalen is still up every 3-4 hours and i am still the grouchy crazy person most of the time)

for awesome corn bread try marie calendar's. you just add water and it is almost like cake. love it!