I am one angry and confused person at this time... I use THE SAME chocolate chip cookie recipe as my mother. ( the nestle toll house one) I add all the ingredients in the same order she does, we both use real butter, and we both bake them for the same amount of time. I've tried using the higher elevation directions and NOT using the higher elevation directions.... HER's turn out gorgeous and tasting like HEAVEN in a cookie.... kinda like these.....

MINE (pictured below) turn out like little cow pie, burnt on the edges, not done in the middle, piles of mush.... SOMEONE EXPLAIN THIS TO ME! It's SO AGGRAVATING!!! Is it SO hard to ask for just a pretty and yummy chocolate chip cookie?!? GRR.....
13 comments:
I've learned a thing or two from many baking disasters....first, always use a cookie scoop, then all cookies are uniform and bake at the same time. Next, use parchment paper to line your cookie sheets, and last always use a cooled sheet, that keeps the edges from starting to bake as soon as you put the dough on the sheet. That means having a couple of sheets so that you can have one in the oven, one ready to go in and one cooling. Hope that helps! And maybe you are much smarter than I and have been doing these things all along :)
Different ovens I guess. That's all I got.
As far as the dough goes, is it really gooey when you put it on the sheet? Even though my sister and I use the same recipe, etc, I have to add more flour for some reason to make it a bit thicker.
You need more flour!! I know you add what the recipe calls for, but I think that flour is bias towards certain people!! My mom never has to add extra flour, and I almost always do...I think her measuring cups are bigger :)
If you would like, I have a recipe from Williams-Sonoma that is to DIE for...if you want it...e-mail me and I'll send it to you...they're seriously so delish!!
razaklady at gmail dot com
good luck with the cookies!!
this post makes me laugh. i always make the worst cookies and my moms are so yummy. however, you should try getting new cookie sheets. or spraying on some serious amounts of pam to coat the bottom. it seems like mine turn out better now.
YOu need more flour...I know the tollhouse recipe is supposed to be sticky, but add just enough so it's not gooey... hope that makes sense! and how old is your flour??? I've learned that the older the flour is, the more oomph you have to give it to make the cookies fluffier!
i hope you still ate them right? everyone gave you good advise...i know if i use one of those cheap cookie baking sheets they always turn out flat, so i have a really nice thick cookie baking sheet and that has helped me a bit.
however you still know you are the bomb especially when it comes to cooking
So a few things I would note- really beat the heck out of the butter/sugar/eggs mixture. Get as much air into them as you can.
It looks like you need more flour. Add flour until the dough looks like a fairly sticky, but held together, glob.
Are you using the same kind of cookie sheet? That might have something to do with it. Also, sometimes refrigerating the dough for a few hours before you bake them can make a HUGE difference (although it's hard to wait that long).
I hate when that happens to me. Good luck!
Do you melt your butter when you add it? If so, instead try letting it sit out and soften until it's room temperature. Makes a world of difference.
I think that that fantastic Toll House Recipe calls for 2 1/4 flour, but I always add 2 3/4. I had that SAME issue with the SAME recipe, but then I figured it out.
Hope that works.
:)
Ditto to everyone's comments. You better do a a new post with a picture of you picture perfect cookies with all this advice you're getting. To repeat things above and what I've learned: 1. Don't melt the butter. Set it out until it's room temperature. 2. Beat the heck out of the sugar and eggs. 3. Make sure you've added enough flour so the dough is not too sticky. Be careful though, if you add too much, you'll end up with hockey pucks. 4. I bake most of my stuff on stoneware or a high quality cookie sheet. 5. Definitely use a cool cookie sheet like Janel said!
I want new pictures of your new cookies!
One thing I find is that if I microwave the butter to soften it, it doesn't work very well. I leave my butter out on the counter to get it soft. I also find that buying Mrs. Fields and just pretending I made it works wonders.
Oh, dear. This post made me laugh my booty off. Sorry to laugh at your expense. Let me make it up to you with a date?
Post a Comment