What you fine folks are looking at here, is an xray of my 2 year old daughter.... with a barrette... in her stomach.
SERIOUSLY?!
Little Miss Macy is our resident choking expert. I've done the best I can to keep chokeable things out of reach from both my kids since "the quarter incident". But this little red headed girl version of curious George is a straight up trouble maker. She took the clip OUT of her hair and put it into her mouth.
The barrette looked like this...
The barrette looked like this...
Homegirl has been wearing these barrettes EVERYDAY for her entire life. Seriously... We treat her hair like black girl hair... same hair do everyday, we just switch out the hair stuff to match her outfit.
I'm just boggled that on the first time she decide to put it in her mouth, she choked. Anyways...she was up stairs SUPPOSED to be taking a nap, when I heard her barfing. I ran up and asked her if she was choking and in between gags she managed to say "pretty" which is what we've called them forever. Like " let me put a pretty in your hair" or " which pretty matches your outfit?" Ugh. I wanna cry thinking about her choking. It's AWFUL to see you kids trying to breath and not being able to. I just kept thinking about it getting lodged and having to cut it out and then feeding her through a tube for the rest of her life... That's just how I operate.
Anyways the SAME paramedics that came when she was choking on a quarter showed up yesterday for the barrette. By the time they got here, she had pretty much swallowed it, but was still gagging/coughing. They suggested she ride over the ambulance because it could be teetering in there, and who wants to deal with that while trying to drive to the hospital. We agreed and they loaded her on one of those little stretcher deals and I rode in the back with her, holding her hand the whole way to the hospital. I don't know if other kids act like this, but Macy was THRILLED to ride in an ambulance. She's loved them her whole life. Her Pops is always giving her tours of fire engines and ambulances and with Rich working at the city building, we see them frequently. She was so excited to ride in there. They gave her a little angel bear stuffed animal and she was instantly in love. She wanted to know every ones names, what everything was, where we were going... etc. By the time they rolled her into the ER she was singing the "wheels on the bus" song loud and proud. Before I exited the ambulance, I asked the guys how many strikes we get until we are out. Like how many times does an ambulance have to respond to the same house for choking children before they take them away from you?!?!?!?!! GEEEEEEZ. I need some parenting classes :)
So the ER doc and the on call surgeon agreed that it should have no problems just passing through. If it doesn't by Saturday, we are going to go back in an have an xray... if it's stuck somewhere, they'll have to go and get it :(
Just pray for lots of poo today :)
When the doctor told us we'd have to go looking for that bad boy in her diaper he said " I'll give you lots of rubber gloves, what size gloves do you wear? I looked at him and said " oh.... my husband wears a large." It's a dads job to sift through cute little poo looking for a red flowery hair clip, right :) I love my red head.
***UPDATE: We just changed her #2 diaper and found the entire clip in tact!!!! YAY! I had Macy call my mom and tell her what happened and this is what she told her word for word " I choked on the pretty, it went into my tummy, it wooshed down to my foot, then into my butt, and then out my poop"


6 comments:
ms. kellie Knapp this totally did not happen?? OH MY GOSH!!!! I laughed so hard at the "my husband wears a large" statement. hahahaha..so sorry I am glad she is ok. I will be praying for lots and lots of poo. Happy hunting!
*a little advise...i am not sure how wise it would be to post a picture of the "out come" ;)*
Oh my gosh, I have those barrettes and I hope it passes easily.
My younger daughter, around two months old, went through a faze where she would stick the little, like the size for braces, rubberbands in her orifices. I removed one from her ear, then like a week later she stuck one up her nose, but it was too far for my tweezers. We had a doctor's appointment the next day, so we called and asked the doctor how important it was to be removed immediately, I was trying to avoid a trip to the ER. He laughed and told us that we needed to take her to the ER that night. She was a trooper, and shortly after that I cut all her hair off since she kept doing that, even with the larger rubberbands, and her hair was looking like a mullet anyways.
She also swallowed a small decorative stone at a wedding one night around 18 months old. One moment she had it in her hand the next it was gone and she was calling it ice, it was clear and only the size of a dime. That passed easily and yes, we washed it off and kept it.
Kellie!!! Oh my gosh!!! Macy!!! This is crazy!!! I can't believe this happened!!! Scary!!! Relief!!!
Clearly reading this caused me to only be able to say words not actual sentences. I'm so glad she's ok.
oh my gosh kellie what a day...night. crazy that is super scary i'm so glad everything turned out ok, and that the pretty took a right hand turn at macy's foot and ended up in her poop. she is super cute too bad we haven't seen her since she was like 6months old....crazy. i'm headed to utah in november so if your making any trips that way let me know.
Can I borrow Macy? Like seriously, can I take her into my home for, let's say...a week or so? I need her carefree, comic, red-headed nature. Plus I'd like to see her whoosh things down to her foot and into her ...
OK, and come-on peeps - that post had me laughing. I wasn't worried; pretties always come out in poopies. Lovin' that Macy-girl
Scary Kellie!! I am so glad she'd ok!!
Post a Comment