Thursday, September 3, 2009

Burn Baby, Burn.....

Oh my....
Last night I made about a gallon of Salsa. Why? Oh, cause I'm crazy. About 2 pm yesterday I decided I had to have homemade salsa, or I'd die. I tried 3 different recipes last night... I get on these kooky kicks sometimes and I gotta just GO WITH IT! I had a blast! Rich and I were in there chopping, and testing and debating over what it needed more/less of and we came up with a really good one. We made sure it included lots of garlic, lime and just the right amount a jalapeno!! So I get everything cleaned up, put away and I sat down to write down the recipe we finally came up with and that's when it started....My hands started tingling/burning a little.... weird, I thought. Fast forward 1 hour... I'm practically in tears!!!! I felt like I'd dipped my hands in acid! Under my nail beds, in the wrinkles of my knuckles, and the webbing of my fingers hurt the worse, and the rest of my hand just felt like it was on fire! I googled it to try and find something to help.... and I tried EVERY SINGLE ONE.... Soaking my hand in milk, then rubbing alcohol, then hydrogen peroxide, then vinegar. After I tried all of that to no avail, I tried a salt scrub AND a sugar scrub... NO RELIEF! Then I tried dawn liquid soap, yogurt, a milk and baking powder paste, and then hand sanitizer... NADA!

p.s... these were all suggestions on the internet... I wasn't just pouring my entire fridge on my hand for fun...

FINALLY, I woke up my super brilliant and dashingly handsome husband to tell him I was going to die of burning jalapeno hands and we needed to get our affairs in order. :) He told me to get the aloe vera gel and coat my hands and sit in front of the fan... WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THAT!? I did it.... INSTANT relief!! As soon that layer dried I added another layer and in a matter of minutes I was fast asleep, dreaming of a land where there are no jalapenos withing 1 million miles...

This morning, my hands feel like LEATHER. But there is NO BURN! Now I'm off to the store to replace the billions of things I dumped on my hands last night, and stock up on aloe vera gel and rubber gloves!!!!! OY VEY!!!!!!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

OUCH!! That is so weird. Of course you can't trust what google tells you to do. But homemade salsa sounds delish....and it's 9am. Pregnancy!

Stacie Aho said...

I feel your pain. Seriously. That happened to me a few months ago, and I literally thought I was going to die. My hands were outta control painful. The only thing that helped me was to sit with them soaking in a bowl of ICE cold water. Horrible. I have to wear rubber gloves now when I cut peppers. So awful, huh?

I'm SO sorry you had to feel that last night. OUCH. Glad they are better. Makes you so grateful to be pain free most days, doesn't it?!

Kristin said...

You are so funny! I would have tried Windex, it worked for everything in My Big Fat Greek Wedding. I recently learned that it will kill ants too.

R. Efros said...

Aloe Vera also makes a wonderful shaving gel, moisturizing facial ointment, and hair gel that doesn't leave an icky residue! Some even say it prevents scarring and stretch marks..... but thatis just something I read when I googled "uses of aloe vera gel" (second result)

linds said...

You saved my life!! Tonight I made a mexican dish with a whole lotta peppers. I was almost in tears from the pain! I zipped through your archives trying to remember what the heck you used! I type this now dripping in aloe vera and a smile on my face.

ps. we don't know each other but I love reading your blog!