Sunday, March 30, 2014

Part 4...Mcdonalds house...

I was standing in the kitchen of the dead bird house when I got a text.

We didn't get phone service at the dead bird house, but if I kept my phone in one specific spot in the kitchen, I would get a text every now and then. If we were REALLY lucky, we'd  MAYBE be able to send one out.

The text was from an old buddy of my red head's who he did business with when he worked for Cedar Hills, Utah. The text said something to the effect of "There is a job opening at the city of Clearfield, UT that is right up your alley, check it out"

We'd applied to a handful of  jobs during our 4 and half years in Montana. I can't remember exactly, but I think it was 5ish,  give or take. Because Whitefish was so good to us, and it was a good job for Rich, we weren't going to take just any job, or make a lateral career move just for the heck of it. We weren't desperate. We only applied to jobs we were excited about career wise, and/or location wise. 

More on why we weren't Montanans4Life in a forthcoming blog.

I didn't really have any feelings one way or the other about the prospect of our family taking a job with Clearfield because my brain was too shoved full trying to keep track of my crazy life, my new baby and my two preschoolers. I forwarded the text to Rich not thinking much of it, because, let's be honest, I had bigger fish to fry at that moment.

The next day, since we didn't have internet at the dead bird house, I went to use Rich's work computer during his lunch. I found a listing right away for another town home. How could I be so lucky in this disgusting streak of unluckiness??  This one was super cute, specifically said NO DOGS and NO SMOKING, was a really good location in town and happened to be a minuscule walk to the grocery store, movie theatre, craft store and McDonald's. Henceforth, we referred to this house as the McDonald's house. One literally small catch to this house is that it was only 1100 sq ft. Now I've known people to work miracles in 1100 sq feet, but with the winters being super long in Montana and our family being full of ACTIVE little ones, the idea made me nervous. But again, I was more nervous that we'd end up homeless and destitute if we didn't get while the gettin was good.

I called and chatted with the owner of the McDonald's house immediately.  He said they had received THIRTEEN applications (we would be the 14th) but they were not accepting them first come, first serve, but rather choosing their 3 top favorites and then basically interviewing them.

Now you see what I mean, when I tell you the Whitefish rental market is competitive.

That's when I turned on the charm and started selling myself like my life depended on it. I told him I have cleaning OCD (partially true), and that my husband, who happened to be the finance director for the city of Whitefish, was super excited about he location.  I assured him we had excellent references from two of the most prominent rental agency's in the valley...yadda yadda yadda. I'm sure I embarrassed my self and was super obnoxious, but a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do to get the heck out of the dead bird house, right? They thanked us for our application and let us know they'd call us.

That night Rich came home and told me he had applied to the Clearfield job, and they wanted to phone interview him the next day.

WHOA...left turn alert.

Here I've been searching and searching for a house in WHITEFISH MONTANA and now this may have been all in vain because I should be looking for a house in CLEARFIELD UTAH? It was so much for my head to absorb so I just took a trip to denial. After all, it's just a phone interview, it's not like they are flying him in on a private jet. No big deal.  I certainly wasn't about to put all my eggs on the Utah basket, when I had to worry about finding us something in Montana...like yesterday.

The McDonald's house owners called back the next day letting us know we'd made the top three and they set up a time to interview us/let us see the house the next day.

HALLELUJAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When 1pm rolled around the next day, we left out kids with a sitter (duh) and headed to our housing interview. They gave us a tour, asked us some questions and let us know they'd call us. Rich went back to work and I took the kids to McDonald's so they could play and so I could hangout somewhere with internet and phone service. 30 minutes after we arrived at McDonald's, the McDonald's HOUSE people called and said they were certain that we were the family they wanted living in their house!

HALLELUJAH, AGAIN times 47!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Mcdonalds house.
We were the one on the right...you know the one with the cute kids in front :)

 
Backyard. Welcome to Montana.
 
Backyard facing east.

I was elated, excited, overwhelmed, excited, grateful and excited. I told the kids we were moving (again) and that it was going to be super close to McDonalds! WHOO HOOOO!!!

I immediately called Rich to tell him we got the house.

He said AWESOME! Oh and I have a Skype interview with Clearfield next week.

WHAT?

Just flippin' shoot me already. I felt like I was playing a real life game of chutes and ladders. I kept moving forward and then taking a ladder all the way back to the beginning, then up to the middle, then ALMOST TO THE FINISH, then getting sent back to the starting!! I was catching fly balls and curve balls and fast balls, and it was just freaking insane. I half expected Santa to drop by for a sandwich because at this point, really, it didn't seem impossible with all the craziness that was happening.

I congratulated Rich and then I told him I wasn't sure I could be excited right that second, but to give me minute and I'd try to rally.

In my effort to rally, it hit me.

Where are we supposed to Skype from without internet??

No comments: