Friday, February 11, 2011

...make your bed...

I feel like I've blogged about his before... stop me if you've heard this.

I don't make my bed... like ever.  Allow me to explain...

#1. I've never really had the habit of making my bed. Sure my mom taught me to make my bed, but it just never really stuck.
#2. Rich and I sleep with separate blankets. No flat sheets, just one green ( mine) and one brown ( his)  SUPER SOFT AMAZING king size blankets for each of us. So really how can I "make" a king size bed with no flat sheet, only 1 standard pillow per person ( no decorative pillows at the request of my red headed husband who prefers functionality over cute...ugh) and TWO big blankets... it's tough.

This bed would make my husband angry. 8 pillows... that exceeds his his limit by a whopping 6 pillows :)
While we are on the subject I will defend our decision to NOT share a blanket till the day I die. I LOVE it. Rich LOVES it. Sure, we are snuggly, lovey, dovey people, but when its time to sleep, it's time to sleep. I don't want to hear, see, touch, or smell anyone. I just want to sleep. Luckily I married someone who shares this passion, hence the hugantic bed, a fan for white noise, and separate blankets. Also we are both heat machines. In hotels we've shared a queen bed and one blanket and it's like sleeping next to a fireplace. He is HOT... in more ways than one.

Back to the point. I don't make my bed. MAYBE if I had a super cute decked out bedroom, I would. But there are 5 million things I want/need to buy before I swanktify my bedroom. Some may say " but that is your sanctuary you need to make it nice for YOU" Let me tell you I'd rather make a vacation to Hawaii nice for me before my bedroom. :) 

So  on to THE POINT. I've started a job chart for Macy, and on there I put " Make your Bed"... HILARIOUS. Rich saw it and said " I'm totally against making your bed. What's the point?" I told him, we shouldn't push our views of non bed making on our children. We can expose them to both ways and when they reach a certain age, they can decide for themselves. Unless of course family or friends are coming over and then OF COURSE we'll ALL make our beds so we can pretend that we are a normal, tidy, bed making family :) But yes, for now I feel like it's important to teach my kids to make their beds. I cannot lead by example, but like they say, do as I say, not as I do....

Which leads us to our next poll.... DO YOU MAKE YOUR BED???? Feel free to vote on the right. :)

7 comments:

Lacey said...

Oh my gosh Kelli, I could have totally written this post. I do not make our bed because we use separate blankets, but also because I'm lazy. My husband doesn't care, in fact he thinks it's better to let it "air out" during the day. We don't share blankets mostly because one of us usually hogs the blankets, so it's just easier this way.

Granum Family said...

so funny. my mom and i were having this conversation the other day and she can't believe i never make my bed. she makes it even if it's at like 6 at night!

Anonymous said...

I get it with the separate blankets..sleep is really important.
I do make my bead, otherwise it just beckons me all day long and I find myself lingering in bed longer than necessary.

*thanks for the sister-wives date, it was fun.
*Rich, thanks for buying us the heart cake, it was very nice of you.
*Kellie, I'll tell Kent that on his sister-wives date that Rick treated us all to cake and so we'll see what Kent wants to do on his next sister-wives date to one up Rich.... cause you know how everything turns somehow into a competition with them :o)

Kira said...

Speaking of beds, I picked up that ADORABLE tinkerbell pillow you guys sent down for me from nana! ITS SO COMFY! I LOVE IT! Thank you guys tons :) the note from macy made me smile, hope you guys can come back again soon!

Cheree said...

Once again...a post that I was laughing the entire way through because I totally relate.

Kristin said...

I always, always, always make my bed. I think it dates back to the day in 3rd or 4th grade when my mom called the school and the secretary announced over the loudspeaker that I needed to go home and make my bed. Ahhh, lasting memory. Either that or just the fact that I'm a fanatic for being tidy. Oh, and I have to have a sheet next to my skin.

Annie said...

I love a nice, clean, made bed myself. I also think I would FREEZE to death if my husband wanted his own blanket and chose not to share his HOT bod. Love all you posts cuz they make me smile and usually laugh out loud pretty hard! :)