Thursday, March 19, 2009

Welcome to Montana!

We're HERE! Well kind of.. I'm actually at the White fish McDonald's, using their wifi, since we don't have internet yet :( P.S. There is a sign that says “no snowboards of ski's allowed” on the front door of McDonald's. There is also a big rack to lock up your snow gear...that's gives you an idea of what I'm working with here in Montana! I'll put up pictures and stuff when I get internet next Tuesday...
For all of you who I came to boo-hooing to about how much I hated Montana, I must confess I have had a change of heart! I came up for our interview, expecting this glamorous park city-ish place so when I got here and saw that is was more like granola, earthy, snowy, hugantic tree- filled, “kind of city” I was like WHAT THE?!?! But I really like it now and really appreciate the whole campy, fresh air, quietness of it all. We are 7 minutes from a slew of brand spankin' new stores in Kalispell and 10 minutes from Rich's work which is in downtown super quaint, Whitefish. You can actually see ski slopes from our house, if that entices any prospective visitors, eh???
Don't worry, the outside of the house we are renting still looks like an ugly shoe box with a door, but I'm IN LOVE with the inside. I LOVE LOVE it. It's so much more our style, aka “yellow based” than the apartments we've lived in before and since we are the first people to live here I know the carpet isn't full of other people's grossness. ew. There is an island in the kitchen, and Macy runs laps around it several times a day.... she gets this crazy look on her face and books it into the kitchen and starts running around it and yelling stuff like.” whoa whoa whoa” and “WHEEEE!”... Hopefully that doesn't translate into liking Nascar when she grows up. We may be living in Montana, but that doesn't mean we have to enjoy watching people with mullets drive in circles for hours on end.
Rich likes his job a lot. He's been really busy with early meetings and late meeting and tons in between, right off the bat, which gives me plenty of time alone to unpack, set up and get my shop on. :) He likes his co workers a lot, too. I want to bring them all treats on Friday, but can't decide what to make...Any suggestions? It is a bittersweet thing for him to be working again. Not working for a year really changes your perspective! Macy sometimes looks at me and goes “ Daddy?” It's cute/sad :) We are really looking forward to Saturday and Sundays now, where before EVERYDAY WAS SATURDAY! Haha.
To give you a better idea of the kind of life we are living, allow me to fill you in on the observations I've made in my 6 days here... There are NO, I repeat NO, top 40 stations here. You could not find one Pussycat Dolls, Fergie, Britney, or Justin Timberlake song on the radio if if your cute little life depended on it! However. There are THREE rock/butt rock/old man music stations and EIGHT country stations. EIGHT COUNTRY STATIONS. Which is fitting since you feel like you live IN a country song. Dogs, guns, mountains, boots, tractors, cowboys, churches...we got it all! Speaking of churches, I was telling someone before that for the last 4 years, I've been able to walk to church. Well, I still can... just not MY church. There is a church on every corner up here. I like it! Also a lot of people have been asking me if there are black people in Montana...I'm happy to report there is! About ten times the amount Utah has... so I've seen about 10 black people here :) But that is in 6 days! I think I saw ten black people TOTAL in my 5 years in Utah...
Another thing I've noticed here is that EVERYONE is nice. EVERYONE. In traffic they let you cut in even if it's REALLY backed up and busy, everyone waves to Macy, everyone you ask a question to goes OUT of there way to answer and is really really nice about. I love that about the people here. OH and NO ONE..... NOT ONE PERSON has cute shoes. They are all functional snow/hiking boot kinda shoes... I look like an idiot in my sparkly converse. I think I'm going to buy some hiking boots and a Bedazzler and bling those things out. And YES, I still wear the most makeup of anyone I've run into AND I still have the biggest hair and biggest earrings... BY FAR. You can take the girl out of the fabulous....but you can't take the fabulous, out of the girl!!! We are going to church for the first time this Sunday and I'm STOKED.

Thanks to EVERYONE who helped us move... we were SO blessed and lucky to have all of you in the moving process... there is no way I can list you all on here...but thank you notes are on their way! :) I love and miss you all! COME VISIT! Everyone is always welcome!!!

* again... pictures of the house and area to come next week when I can blog from the privacy of my own home, and not the playplace at Micky D's! :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Clive and I loved reading your blog! Whitefish is in for a treat having you and Macy roam around the town. Love you...We want to move there now.

Unknown said...

I'm so glad you are happy and loving Montana! It sounds so earthy and peaceful. I love that! I'm so glad Rich is loving his job! Tell him congrats again! We miss you guys!! Tell Macy Moo hi!

Araceli Y Ruben said...

your are amazing and Crazy I love reading your blog By the way this is Sally from the clinic. The best of wishes I know a few great people that are going to miss you I especially with the every trimester visits. Take care and kiss the baby from me. Good luck with everything

Kristin said...

I told you it would end up being a good thing! I grew up in a small town and that's the best place to be a kid (maybe not a teenager, but definitely a kid). You'll have so much fun looking up at stars and smelling fresh air. There are too few places like that anymore.

What's the closest airport? Maybe we'll fly up one weekend.

~SHERI said...

I can't believe you are gone and we didn't get a date! I am seriously sad, like almost as sad as when Ryan deployed...ok maybe not THAT sad, but truly, sad. Can I come and visit you?! Round trip to Vegas for 90 bucks! Weehoo! We are seriously coming there. My kiddos are still SOOO sick, so maybe I will wait until its HOT outside so the sickness is burned out of them. I am going to cry! Come back for one date...or whenever you get to Vegas come see us...

Matt and Laura Cutler said...

Hey there. I'm totally jealous. Matt just got a job offer for up in Idaho, which isn't too far away from where you at, but it's full of homely, but wonderful people!! I'm glad all is going well!