...
Ok and also I hate to admit it, but I've pulled the baby card to get out of church the last 5 weeks, but I'm going back tomorrow and I'm just NOT ready for the leaning over her carrier all up in her face and the breathing all over her and grabbing of her hands and the "Can I hold her?"s. I'm going to be known as the crabby over-protective mom who is mean doesn't let people touch her baby. Just cause you are a church goer and I'm a church goer...doesn't mean we can all me Macy-holders....come on now.
So my question to my blog friends...during the winter, in the middle of RSV and FLU season, what is the polite way to say..."please don't touch my baby because I don't trust your hygiene habits and I think you will infect my child with an illness" I could use some suggestions!!!!
6 comments:
i take roman in the baby bjorn. lookie, no touchie.
HAHA!! I was the same way when Nicci was born. This is what you do. (this is what i did anyway) When they ask to hold her you say: "Oh, maybe next time, she is still VERY new and the DR. has told me it's best not to pass her around just yet. Especially because of flu season and stuff." And smile! You're being nice and truthful and any NORMAL person will understand! And then when they try to TOUCH her...just have her wrapped in a blanket and say the SAME thing... "She's still pretty new...blah blah." It's terrible isn't it? And it's funny how church is the WORST! grrr. You need to be honest though (and i KNOW you can be...you dominate!) because if you are too nice, little Macie could get realy sick, and you don't want that i know. :) She is so cute Kellie! I mean...she's GORGEOUS! Usually babies are in an awkward ugly-cute stage at her age, but she just glows with cuteness!!
Arg! I spelled her name wrong!! It's 'Macy' i know. :( I'm sorry!
So how did church go? I think if I were you and someone asked to hold her, I would just say that I would let them, but then everyone else would want to hold her too. That way they think that they're the special one. Then you could just say for them to come over to your house some time if they want to hold her (where you can make them Purell their hands).
You are completely entitled to pull the flu and RSV card. I went through the same thing with Gavin (only we didn't go to church for 3 months... SHHH don't tell!) People will understand if you just say that you'd rather not pass her around just yet. Hope everything went well! And I can understand why people would want to hold your little bundle of gorgeousness! She's just tooo precious!
I know this is a little late to comment, but we've been gone for a month and I have to catch up on my blogs. I feel your pain! And sadly this doesn't get better as they get older (unless your baby suddenly becomes alien looking, so nobody wants to get to close) I have just come to realize that people just need to be told. I always say, Please don't touch my child, I'm sure you are a very nice person, but I don't know you. Remember when you were pregnant and everyone and their mother wants to touch your belly? I'm afraid the cycle doesn't ever change! Good luck and I wouldn't be above slapping peoples hands either.
Post a Comment